Modals ( Part 2) Upper-Intermediate Level

Study this introduction to Modal Verbs :  Modal Verbs from Carmen Torres

Link online : https://www.slideshare.net/torrestorres/modal-verbs-1133347

It provides you with the main features of modal verbs in English and you should be aware that in English we do have more verbs that can translate some Italian verbs.

Watch the video about  the main modal verbs:

When you have to study them, try to remember to find a sentence that can help you summarize the meaning.

Obbligation? Necessity?  Lack of obbligation?  Suggestion? Ability?  Request? Permission?

There are some verbs that have similar meanings to must or can/could, write them down and  study them.

Must:  to have to/ to be necessary/ to be obliged to

Can:  be able to/ to be allowed to/

Could:   be able to/manage to / succeed in+v+ing/ be allowed to

May/Might: be likely to

The verbs will have to  be put into the tense and you need to be able to know how to form the past tense, the present perfect , the future and the main tenses in English.

Here are some examples of the uses with the modals and the  verbs that can replace them in some tenses:

ABILITY

***I can   swim     I could  swim    I am able to swim    I was able to swim   I have been able  to swim

I will be able to swim

PERMISSION

*****I can go    I could go   I am allowed to go   I was allowed to  go   I  have been allowed to go

I will be allowed to go

OBBLIGATION

******I must  go   I had to go    I will  have to go

LACK OF OBBLIGATION

********* It is not necessary for you to go      You don’t have to go   You  don’t need to go  You needn’t go

SUGGESTIONS

***************It would be a good idea to go     You  should go

POSSSIBILITY

****************I may go    I might  go    I could  go     Perhaps  I will go       I am likely to go

In the next post we will check modals dealing with the meaning of making deductions in the present and in the past.

print